Vuze Error Failed To Install DNS

You have a question? you are afraid? this is the right place [No Shu Mod Questions]

Moderator: Moderator

tml29
Food

Vuze Error Failed To Install DNS

Post by tml29 »

Hello all i'm a new member and a V. V.I.P
I'm gettg in the error Failed To Install DNS. This will impact functions such as forced DNS resolution prevention with socks.
Error: DNS SPI not loaded.
Can someone please help ?
Shu
Addicted to myself

Re: Vuze Error Failed To Install DNS

Post by Shu »

I have that too. I don't know where it comes from
[url=irc://irc.xevion.net/shu]irc://irc.xevion.net/shu[/url]
tml29
Food

Post by tml29 »

Bugs the hell out of me. I know i can close the error message but i thought there might be a setting i missed. I keep looking through the Vuze options and Google searching.
G00DFe77a
Fresh meat

Post by G00DFe77a »

Anyone figure this out? I'm getting the same thing and could not find any resolution.
Shu
Addicted to myself

Post by Shu »

maybe everyone using the mod has it.
it would mean I fucked up.... can someone without the error plz comment?
[url=irc://irc.xevion.net/shu]irc://irc.xevion.net/shu[/url]
warp9pnt9
Food

Post by warp9pnt9 »

Shu wrote: 07 Oct 2015, 20:36 maybe everyone using the mod has it.
it would mean I fucked up.... can someone without the error plz comment?
Forgive the necro of an old thread, but I have answers. Not the fault of mod. I'm using vanilla Vuze 5.7.6.0 as of time of writing.

TL;DR: Add "127.0.0.1 dns.test.client.vuze.com" to your hosts file (or DHCP/DNS server equivalent) so that the relevant check passes, and hope nothing else is broken.

This error first occurred a few years ago. I only noticed it when updating from Java 8 to 9. Not sure if that was coincidental as I may have updated Vuze at the same time. Anyways, I have been ignoring the error for years, but decided to figure out the reason today. This thread was one of the only posts showing up in the relatively few related search results which actually mentions the specific error. So I felt it best to answer here.

One of the other relevant search results gave a clue. An SVN commit log on Azureus SourceForge project shows when this code was added (2014-10-02). The source file can be found here. The source code file path and relevant code is shown below.

Relative file path: azureus2/src/com/aelitis/azureus/core/networkmanager/admin/impl/NetworkAdminImpl.java

Lines: 254-256

Code: Select all

if (System.getProperty("skip.dns.spi.test", "0").equals("0")) {
			checkDNSSPI();
		}
Lines: 278-311

private void
	checkDNSSPI()
	{
		String	error_str	= null;

try{
			InetAddress ia = InetAddress.getByName( "dns.test.client.vuze.com" );

if ( ia.isLoopbackAddress()){

// looks good!

}else{

error_str = "Loopback address expected, got " + ia;
			}
		}catch( UnknownHostException e ){

error_str = "DNS SPI not loaded";

}catch( Throwable e ){

error_str = "Test lookup failed: " + Debug.getNestedExceptionMessage( e );
		}

if ( error_str != null ){

Logger.log(					
				new LogAlert(
					true,
					LogAlert.AT_WARNING,
					MessageText.getString( "network.admin.dns.spi.fail", new String[]{ error_str })));
		}
	}
Furthermore, the MessagesBundle.properties file holds the rest of the error message we see.

Line 4591:

network.admin.dns.spi.fail=Failed to install DNS manager\n\nThis will impact functions such as forced DNS resolution prevention with SOCKS\n\nError: %1
What does all this mean? The code tries to see if a host name resolves to an IP address "dns.test.client.vuze.com", and then checks if that is a loopback device (i.e. IP addr 127.0.0.1). For me, there is no such address resolving in DNS, nor was is resolving locally.

So I added it to my hosts file.

Windows: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Nixes: (Usually) /etc/hosts

Error went away.

I have no idea if there was an expectation that some other plugin or component should be providing some feature or modifying hosts file, etc. If you use a local DHCP/DNS server like dnsmasq on your router, then perhaps you can more easily add it there.